From single telephone earpieces in the 1800s to wireless earbuds today, headphones have come a long way. We’re always jamming out here at Phone Love, and our Phone Heroes know their way around mobile devices, including all the cool accessories that make our cellphones even more irresistible. Let’s be honest, though. When was the last time you cleaned your earbuds?
It’s time. Especially if you’re one who uses them frequently. To the naked eye, they may look clean; but bacteria, gunk, wax, lint, and who knows what else could be lurking in those speakers. And if you share earbuds with friends, family, or co-workers, the risk of bacteria and ear funk on your earbuds increases.
Luckily getting those little buggers spick-and-span is easy, and something you should fit into your regular routine. Not only is it better for your ear health, the sound quality will be clearer so you can rock out, not gross out!
These five easy steps will have you podcasting the day away lickety-split:
- If your earbuds have removable silicone covers, take them off and clean them separately by soaking them in warm, soapy water. Then rinse and let them dry.
- If you can see dirt or dust in the speaker portion of the buds, use a clean toothbrush to dislodge it.
- Use an alcohol swab, or dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol, and gently wipe the earbuds down. Don’t ever submerge your earbuds in alcohol or water. Note: The preferred rubbing alcohol concentration to be used on electronics is 99.7 percent or higher for electronics. Seventy percent isopropyl is not safe to use and the effectiveness of 91 percent isopropyl is questionable.
- To clean your earbuds’ cord, wipe it with an alcohol swab or rubbing alcohol (the recommended 99.7 percent or higher concentration) using a soft cloth or cotton pad.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
Super simple! Next time you’re wondering why Beyoncé sounds fuzzy — we know it isn’t her — your earbuds may be to blame.
We’re always full of information to help you make the most of your cellphone and accessories. Swing by our store and be sure to connect with us on Facebook and Instagram to stay in the know for all things Phone Love.